Saturday, 21 February 2009

Cold Repairs

I usually drive alone and when I drive alone I play the radio. The other day I switched it off because of a song which was too noisy and that's when I heard it: The other noise. The noise of metal grinding against metal, the unmistakeble sound of brake pads completely worn out. I bought new ones straight away and decided to fit them as soon as I got home. In Botswana - my previous country of residence - this wouldn't have been a problem. I had all the tools I needed back then and it simply meant opening an ice cold "Redd's" cider and getting to work. This was different. First of all it wasn't warm, it was -15C and there is no heating in the garage. Metal becomes painful to touch at that temperature and you can't really wear gloves either because they make you too clumsy.
I spent about 30 minutes looking for tools I didn't have and another hour and a half to do the actual the job after borrowing tools from a neighbour. All the time visions of feet and hands blackened by frostbite fluttered through my mind.
I didn't get frostbite, but couldn't feel my feet or my hands at the end of it. Anyway, I prefer taking photographs from getting hypothermia while reparing old cars.

Cold 001

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop whining and leave it to a carshop then. =)

Mattias Hagström said...

Haha! Just another attempt at saving money...but the next time I'll pay someone to do it unless it's summer of course. =)
/M

Anonymous said...

Tja kusin! Kolla med Peter Dalby du, han har ju både färdigheter och varmare lokal... //Robert