Sunday, 16 November 2008

Starlight

I decided to use this dark time of year to learn as much as possible about night photography. I have a good camera which handles high ISO levels well, I also have a sturdy tripod and a remote shutter release, so all I need now is some creativity and skill.
About a week ago I went out into the night to try it out. It didn't take long to realise that one of the obstacles is light pollution. If you stand around for long enough in a place which you at first percieved as being completely dark, then after only a few minutes you notice how it isn't really dark at all. There is always a bit of light showing from somewhere. Of course this is necessary if you want to capture some sort of image at all, but if you want to take a photograph of a starlit night then it's better not to have streetlights and headlights polluting the darkness. Stay far away from any town since it seems to emit a far reaching glow which takes the sharpness out of the stars. These are some of the first attempts and next time I will have to find a darker place!

_DSC1584

_DSC1585

No comments: